Building the CNW AC4400CW

 Welcome to my first ever blog post on this thing... well, sort of. I had one back in 2016 but rarely used it. Anyway, it's reinstated now. Tonight, I'm gonna be showing off all of the development screenshots from the CNW AC4400CW codenamed Project: Look, Listen and Live

Firstly, we need to establish that the base of this engine is the CPKC AC4400CWM, released to Train Sim Community from LP and I.

Day One - 12/23/23

I ended up going in and deleting the bulk of the child objects remaining on the original base. It was a pretty easy task given how I had structured it originally.

This release will include a user-controlled modified geo file. I wrote a script via batch and VBScript that controls alpha and shader transparency (hats off to Steve from SPS for showing me the parameters that needed modified). This is ultimately the way around having to distribute a geo file (which is against the EULA).

I then had to go into Blender and model all of the child objects. I wish I had pictures of this process but I was so indulged that I frankly forgot. However, I did manage to get a picture of the model post-bake. I ripped the AC44 mesh again and modified the pieces I needed, then went in and baked. After the baking process, I quite literally alpha'd out the pieces I took off, and this is what I was presented with in-game.

 
Rather bland-looking, yes. However, this pioneered a massive technical marvel within the game. This meant I could take any road-specific detail I didn't like and change it, legally, and with distribution!

Now on to paint. I 3D modeled the iconic green lighting bolt and ran a boolean modifier on it, then exported the UV map.
 
 
Threw it in Photoshop, then gave the entire model some color.
 
 
 Then the most exciting part - I got it in-game.

 
More color.
 
 
Then the underframe was painted properly.
 
 

Then I got to add the reflective strip.
 
 

 Day Two - 12/24/23

Listen, this was one of the last days I got to work on it for a bit. I work in a major retail outlet and it was Christmas Eve. However, did someone say I was a rivet counter?

 
 

 Day Three - 12/25/23

It's Christmas Day. I slept in and finally got a break from work. My depression was finally easing up which gave me some more motivation.

LET THERE BE LIGHT!
 

 In the wise words of Jeremy Clarkson...

 
Let's try that again.

Picture dump. Way too much to caption here. Let's just say I got a lot done.








 
This is where I took a few days off to work on myself.
 

Day Four - 12/27/23

I literally did two logos that whole day. Peak productivity.

 

 Day Five - 12/28/23

It was at this point that I started to realize that there were like, 37 of these things? I shoulda made Dash 9's. Oh well, too late. Tough crowd, don't care.

I would also love to know the logic behind this ridiculous long hood numbering. It looks dumb to me but it's whatever.

 
Look Listen and Live!
 

 Warning labels so people don't virtually zap themselves.


I then took a second and threw the original Tehachapi AC44 down next to this thing. What was Reppo smoking when he put this thing in the game? It looks so bad.


Day Six - 12/29/23

So Troy and Terence of SPS were kind enough to give me an antenna array. Then Troy took it upon himself to also model a new horn. Absolute chad. Peep the consist being ran on Granger Shartland.

 
I also uploaded the teaser.
 



I took another break.

Day Seven - 12/31/23

Red reverser anyone? That's pretty much all I did that day. That did mark a new chapter though, as each AC44 made from here on out will have a new reverser color.

A lot from this point has been backend stuff that you simply can't see.

From here, there was no visual work on the exterior. 1/4/24 - Trailer



Last night, 1/7/24

Hornmaster Steve strikes again, and he did an incredible job.

 

There is no release date yet. There is still a bit of work to do and then it has to go into beta (calling my friends at SPS for help on that, as well as Schnauzahpowahz).

This is all for tonight's blog. Hopefully you all have enjoyed this little bit of insight into the development process of this beast. As always, I'll catch you guys next time.






Comments

Popular Posts